First UCAR trustees meeting
UCAR was incorporated on March 16, 1959, as the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research. The first meeting of its 14 members followed shortly, on April 2, at the University of Arizona. The task before the trustees was to refine and execute plans for what was to become NCAR. They decided to call the institute the National Center for Atmospheric Research, and signed a contract under which UCAR would operate the institute with support from NSF.